Saturday, November 15, 2008

Beneath My Mother's Feet

How to get your hands on this month's book:

The L. library has ONE copy, which is checked out at the moment... and I'm not sure the other libraries even have it at all. I'm so sorry (to have chosen a hard-to-get book).

If it makes you feel any better, it's a pretty quick read. Many Amazon reviewers said they read it in an afternoon... and Little Miss Speedy Gonzales here read it in at most that. ** This does NOT mean that you slow readers out there (you know who you are... those who graze instead of devour) can put it off until the last day. Don't. Book club sucks when no one's read the book.

Which brings me back to my first point (the point of this post, really), which is... how to get your hands on this month's book. You have several options.

1. Buy the book. I'm personally too cheap for this sort of thing, but even for me- Amazon has it for a good deal. $7.72 -- click here to see.

2. Check your local library and hope it's available. Or get on a HOLDS list and pray. :)

3. Call me and see if I have any extras you can GENTLY borrow (they'll be due to my doing number 4). Or borrow other bookclubbers' books... if they buy them and are kind enough to share.

4. Ask your library to get it for you via Interlibrary Loan! That's what I'm doing... and I'm getting 3 copies. So if they actually come in a timely fashion (the guy said it could be 2 days, could be 20), you can even borrow one of MY borrows (see number 3).

For those of you with access to the L. library, here is a tutorial (if you will) on how to request the book via Inter-Library Loan. (You can also call the library... that's what I did.)

1- Go to our website and click on "My Account" below the box to search the catalog.
2- Enter your library card number and pin number at the top of the screen (if you have never changed your pin number, it is "changeme"). Click "Login to My Account."
3- When you are logged in, click on "I Need Material."
4- Click on the Interlibrary Loan link at the bottom. On this screen you can enter all the information for your item. You may request up to three items at a time. Please allow 10-30 days to receive the item.

Whichever method you choose, do it TODAY! It's a quick read, but the holiday season is crazy nuts- at least around here, and I don't have kids in school programs, etc! Call me if you need help or have a question or want to chat just for fun! **And check out the post just before this one. It's TONS more fun... and prettier, too!

Good luck, and happy reading!

4 comments:

Linda Oxborrow said...

Hi Becca- you are a riot!! Thanks!! I will call our Smithfield Library Monday- but... I am betting that it is not going to be there, so... if I may borrow a copy of your copies- that would be great- if not.... I understand. Let me know when you get them- I will come get it. Thanks again!

Mindy said...

Bec-
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for doing this post. I am so glad you are on top of things. It is a super-big help to me. Thanks for doing a little research on how to track down the book. I am going to copy and paste you into the newsletter as a guest writer! :)
Thanks again for doing some footwork for me.

Bec said...

Hey, guys (or gals, rather). So Interlibrary Loan SUCKS! I have not received ANY books yet, and I'm not as pissed as my ALL CAPS suggest, but I am disappointed. Either way, still let me know if you want one of my copies, and I'll still let you know if/when I get them. Johanna, you're on the list... and Linda if you still want one, and Shanna, too. But yeah- sorry for the book choice, well... at least for the unavailability.

Anonymous said...

So... has anyone got their hands on it yet and can loan it to me this week?

Ang (I'm a slacker and am just now starting to try to find it!)