Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Proposal

Dear ladies:
First off please be sure to read the post below this one for news on this month's book.

Now for a discussion: I have felt a lack of enthusiasm for reading lately from club members. I am not blaming I am just saying. This is for many reasons: we are all busy. There have been new babies, illnesses, sick kids, stressful schedules, etc. I just feel like reading for book club has not been a priority. That's okay. That is life. But I think I am right in saying that staying in touch and spending time with each other is still a high priority. So here is what I propose: How about we take a step back?  How would you all feel if we bumped everyone's scheduled month back by one or two months and took 1-2 months of a breather. We would still hold book club. We could have it at my house or at the houses of the people who were originally over those months. We would just do reviews for a couple of months. Bring a book that you have read and share it with the rest of us. This might take some of the pressure off of reading for a bit. That way we are not expected to read a specific book for the month, and the person who spent the time and effort picking the book will not have to get their feelings hurt when people are unprepared for a discussion.
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment. I really need your feedback on this because I cannot make a decision for all of us by myself. Please let me know what you think of this plan. Like it, hate it, whatever, just let me know. I will not change anything until we have a majority of opinions gathered in. I would like to have a consensus by next book club which is on April 28. Leave a comment. Let me know.
I love all of you and I want our book club meeting to be a worthwhile and rewarding experience for everyone. For those who come and for the person who is hosting. Please let me know how you feel.

Love to all of you, 
Mindy

9 comments:

Missy W. said...

I'm trying to think back to when I first joined book club (holy cow it has been 3+ years) and I think you are right Mindy. We haven't spent as much time or effort *really* discussing the books as we used to.

I don't know why this is. You listed a few possible reasons, but are our lives all really that much more complicated than they were back then? Maybe so, I don't know.

I do know this - I cherish the friendships I have with all of you and I look forward to book club every month. So as long as we do some sort of get together, I don't mind if we switch up the format for a month or two. In fact, a book review meeting sounds really fun!

Maybe after we take a little break, we can come back to our regular format recommitted to one of the best parts of this club - reading great books and hearing different points of view.

love you all

Missy W. said...

another thought, do we need to look at changing up the day we meet again? I noticed we have been missing a few people recently. If another night would be better for more of us maybe we should talk about that again.

Johanna Markworth said...

I am fine either way! I would love to have a girls night out every month or every other month or so! Think we could work that in? I love book club, and look forward to it each month! I, like Missy cherish my friendships with you all. Can't wait to see you all, and love the book so far! I downloaded it on my ipod to listen to on our long drive. I should be done this week sometime, if someone wants to listen to it. Let me know! xoxo

Leah said...

I am fine either way. I too love our book club associations. As far as reading a book, I really enjoy having an excuse to read. Sometimes I don't allow myself time to read if I don't have a book club read. I did have a slacker month though. I am ok with a break, a review is always good (maybe I can catch up on my bag of books that I still want to read). I would prefer not too much of a break from the books. I LOVE to read them. As long as we can still meet:).

Anonymous said...

I paniced a bit when I read the take a break part... until I read further and found out we could still get together! I know I have been relying on book club for the chance to get together with friends more than the opportunity to read. So I am definitely guilty!

I am good with whatever you all decide. I remember doing reviews in the past and it was great to get ideas. Maybe we should plan to do reviews periodically. We might also could have the month that we do retreat be our "break" months. It seems that we never get around to actually talking about the book for that month when we are at retreat anyway.

Book selections are so dang hard for me. Not sure if anyone else feels that way or not. So it really is a bummer when you spend all that time, energy, and stress to pick a book only to have just a few people read it. I'm with Leah. I need an excuse to read! I also need others to choose books for me to read on a regular basis since I would have NO CLUE what to read without book club.

BonnieKurt said...

Mindy, thanks for your proposal. "I do!"
I am always about a book behind you guys in Seattle because the Hold lists here are horrendous at the library! I just got Alice Town :). My opinion doesn't count for much because I don't get to see you, but know that I love you guys. I hope you enjoy your book reviews for the next months.

BonnieKurt said...

p.s. Ang- I know what you mean about needing Book Club recommendations. There are so many books I want to read, but I tend to only trust personal recommendations. Goodreads is also helpful for that.

Frogger said...

I like having a book assignment each month, but I also didn't finish the book last month on time! This month's book is long, so I say if people don't think they will have it read by the 28th (is that the correct night?) then we could hold off the discussion for it until May. But if most everyone will have it read by then I think we are okay to continue as scheduled.

Ann said...

I'm fine either way, as long as we still get together. It's the only time I get to see most of you guys! I really love having an excuse to "have " to read though!