Friday, September 17, 2010

Once Upon a Time...

Hey, ladies. I need your advice.

Because I simply CANNOT tell a short story, let me back up a bit.

Last winter, I read James and the Giant Peach to my son, James. He was only 2 1/2, but he did really well with it. It made me happy because:
a) My dad read "chapter books" to us as kids, and I fondly remember it.
b) It helped us pass those dreary, never-ending winter days.
c) James learned to sit still for a decent amount of time, and
d) to use his imagination a bit since there weren't all that many pictures.
There are more reasons, but those are a few.

Anyway, I now want to read another "chapter book" to him (and Jolie) this winter- possibly giving him one for Christmas. But (now here's where I need your help) I don't know what book to choose.

What suggestions do you all have for a book that I can read aloud to my kiddos? I want one that is interesting to a 3 1/2 year old boy, one that has some pictures scattered throughout, and one that won't bore me to tears reading it. I want him to get it. He is only 3ish, but he's pretty smart. I just don't want the general concept to be beyond his comprehension level (ie. excessively magical, necessitating that he have a good grasp on what's normal in order to get the magic aspect, etc. Does that even make sense?) I want it to be a fun, memorable experience for all of us. I know that many of you similarly read to your children, and all of you have some pretty sweet "book smarts," so I figured I'd ask you.

Let me know your ideas, and THANK YOU!


PS. I have considered the following (but am very open to other ideas) in no particular order:
The Boxcar Children (the first/original)
Mouse and the Motorcycle
Amelia Bedelia (though I think the humor of it is over his head)
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle
Charlotte's Web (too sad? The movie is...)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Matilda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm... I will go through my collection of books from downstairs. I'm surprised he sat through James and the Giant Peach. Way to go James! Off the top of my head some good ones are:

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
The BFG
The Promise (christmas story about a dog)
Peter Pan
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Good website: http://www.kidsreads.com/

Mindy said...

Hey friend! Here are some we have read to our girls:
-The BFG- Syd LOVES this book and has read it by herself at least 5 times.
-Charlotte's Web- We did read this but there was some crying involved at the end.
-Swiss Family Robinson- We have a nice (very) abridged version with pictures. Then you can watch the Disney movie.
-The Witches- We love Roald Dahl.
-Mouse and the Motorcycle series- very fun.
-Indian in the Cupboard- I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this book.
-The Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel. Super easy with fun pictures.
-A big book of fairy tales. I have a couple of these if you want to borrow them.

That is all for now, I have to go get ready for church. :)

Missy W. said...

Shel Silverstein. i lOVED anything by him.

Shanna said...

You had the ones I thought of on your list: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mouse and the Motorcycle and Charlotte's Web, the Fudge books and Indian in the Cupboard (my personal favorite - we read it a million times when I was little).

Richelle said...

Becca, I'll tell you some books my kids like. Even when Gabe was as young as James we read them The Magic Faraway Tree (there are 3 or 4 of them by Enid Blyton). Also, in the last few months we've read them My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, The Dragons of Blueland by Ruth Shiles Gannett. I bet James would love those. Both of these suggestions have a small black and white illustration every several pages, enough to get some ideas, but mostly just a listening experience.

Bec said...

Thank you, guys, for all of the wonderful ideas! They really helped. I cannot wait to read them all! xo

Scott said...

The Shining Company - Rosemary Sutcliff