Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Painted House... by Grisham??

My dad sent me this book for Christmas. I haven't really read John Grisham books, mainly 'cause that style doesn't seem to appeal to me. But he told me that this book is nothing like Grisham's other books, and he thought I'd like it. Although my dad and I have slightly different book style preferences (ie. he DOES like the rest of the John Grisham collection), I trust his recommendations. For some reason, I didn't get around to reading this book until... oh-- last week. But MAN am I glad I did!

Here's a blurb about it that I found online... to tease and tempt you:

***
The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It could be a "good crop."

Thus begins the new novel from John Grisham, a story inspired by his own childhood in rural Arkansas. The narrator is a farm boy named Luke Chandler, age seven, who lives in the cotton fields with his parents and grandparents in a little house that's never been painted. The Chandlers farm eighty acres that they rent, not own, and when the cotton is ready they hire a truckload of Mexicans and a family from the Ozarks to help harvest it.

For six weeks they pick cotton, battling the heat, the rain, the fatigue, and, sometimes, each other. As the weeks pass Luke sees and hears things no seven-year-old could possibly be prepared for, and finds himself keeping secrets that not only threaten the crop but will change the lives of the Chandlers forever.

A Painted House is a moving story of one boy's journey from innocence to experience.
***

Highly enjoyed, highly recommended. The story will remain with you long after the final page has turned. Read it, and let me know what you think!

7 comments:

Missy W. said...

Hi, I fixed my profile so my blog shows up now. I love Grisham's other books, so I think I will like a painted house - thanks for spotlighting it.

Mindy said...

I loved this book! He has written two others along the same lines (Not suspense): Bleacher and Playing for Pizza. I haven't read either of them, but need to add them to my list.

Unknown said...

I saw the Hallmark film version of this book just the other day on the Hallmark channel. It was good--sounds like it follows the book, based on the blurb you posted. So maybe you should check it out.

bart said...

I read that a couple years ago, and enjoyed it a lot. I was very impressed that Grisham was able to write in a style so different from his normal formula.

bart said...

P.S. I hope that its okay that I, not a lady nor a member of the book club, commented.

Bec said...

Bart, as long as you wear a dress and some lipstick whilst commenting, you will be allowed. :)

Bec said...

And maybe some glasses. They look intellectual, and you know... bookclub-ish.