Monday, July 28, 2008

Feeling Left Out!

I've obviously been on the anti-social/book side lately since I have missed a few book club nights and a movie night! So, since I'm finally back from the dead I thought I'd post the book that I was going to give a review on at the last meeting.

From The New Yorker: At the age of thirty-one, Gilbert moved with her husband to the suburbs of New York and began trying to get pregnant, only to realize that she wanted neither a child nor a husband. Three years later, after a protracted divorce, she embarked on a yearlong trip of recovery, with three main stops: Rome, for pleasure (mostly gustatory, with a special emphasis on gelato); an ashram outside of Mumbai, for spiritual searching; and Bali, for "balancing." These destinations are all on the beaten track, but Gilbert's exuberance and her self-deprecating humor enliven the proceedings: recalling the first time she attempted to speak directly to God, she says, "It was all I could do to stop myself from saying, 'I've always been a big fan of your work.'"

I liked her writing style. The reviews are mixed, though. Some like it, some hate it. Personally, I loved reading it up until her last stop to her self discovery. Bali (balancing) was a bit boring for me. Guess that goes to show that I'm all about pleasure with a little bit of spiritual searching. Balance - who needs balance!? Anyone want to go to Rome with me!? Oh, maybe I should ask my husband first! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mindy - where did you find the background for this blog? I really like it!

Bec said...

I always thought this was a non-fiction. Guess I should research instead of assume. I have also heard good things about it... but-- like I said, nonfiction (ugh). :) Great post. I'll be adding that to my "Books To Read" list for sure!

Missy W. said...

I hate to judge a book without reading it, but I think this woman sounds a little self-absorbed. I agree - non-fiction - ugh

Anonymous said...

It is a non-fiction read. Maybe the self-absorbed part is why I liked it so much... her and I have a lot in common! :)

Mindy said...

Ang- I have a scrapbook disk that I just downloaded the paper from. They have a website digitalscrapbookmemories.com
Bec and Missy- I am totally with you guys on the nonfiction thing. I guess it goes to show the depth of my soul-not so deep. I read purely for entertainment. But Ang I have heard great things about this book so I'll have to branch out and add it to my list. By the way ladies- yay for your posts!

Anonymous said...

Ang- can I borrow it?? You can borrow pillars from me!!!