Monday, September 1, 2008

Deep Thoughts Too Late at Night



Thank you Missy for finding a wonderful post by Shannon Hale. I thought it was worth a post of it's own.
So let me know your thoughts ladies, what makes a "good book" a good book? Is it when others call that book a classic, does that automatically make a book worth-while. Is it if the book has deep meaning that can be analyzed by scholars and professors, and whole classes can be taught on just that book? Is a book "good" if it makes you pause and think about what you have just read, makes you wonder about yourself and the world? Or is a good book simply a book that entertains? A book that takes out of our own world and into the fictitious world of the author? Is it simply that by reading we can forget our own self for a minute and just live in the moment of this "good book"?
What do you all think? I have my opinion. What is your opinion? I surely hope it is not the same as mine, or anyone else. That is why I love book club, and each of you: that we have different opinions and that we learn and grow from each other.
OK, maybe that is too deep for 11:32 PM on a Monday. But, I thought the article was great! Thanks Missy! I anxiously await your comments!
P.S.- Some reading that is worth while, and has to do with this subject also: go to FAQ's on Stephenie Meyer's site.

5 comments:

Hemant Saluja said...

Hi,


I like your article. It's true, books increases our knowledge and books are our friend also. This is an interesting article.


===================================

Ritika

look4ward

Missy W. said...

Glad you liked it. I thought Shannon very eloquently said what I feel myself - an author is only responsible for 50% of it - we make up the other 50%. In my opinion any book that can take me out of my world and into another (be that 18th century england, or an imaginary fantasy world or any other place that isn't missy's every-day ho-hum life) then that is a what I call a good book. And once in a while something special happens, a magical connection between an author's words that resonates with me for whatever reason. Those are the books that I don't ever forget, that I buy and read over and over, and that leave an impression on me that lasts forever. I think that people who don't have that in their life are missing something.

Missy W. said...

oh, and I love that first picture. I have a print of that which is awaiting a frame.

Bec said...

I never commented! Agh! Sorry- I totally thought I did. So here 'goes...

A "good book" can be lots of things, good in different ways. Maybe it teaches a good lesson, maybe it makes you think about the world and/or its people diffently (eye-opening), maybe it or its characters stay with you and with you and with you, or maybe it was just a nice, much-needed vacation that you don't regret taking. Either way, this makes a good book.

I love our book club because I FINALLY have a resource (and support system, which is sometimes required) for finding said "good books." Great post; good question. :)

Bec said...

BTW- I can't see the second image. It's "x-ed" out... maybe re-post it? Yep-- that's it.